Thursday, August 23, 2012

Settling In

On a brighter note, I’m settling into my new house nicely. I’m officially unpacked—I’ve moved all of my stuff out of the room next to mine, put away clothes, arranged books and odds and ends on shelves, and have set up my Tom Hanks collection (all 22 DVDs), prominently displayed on my corner shelf. I’m actually really impressed with how I managed to get the most out of the small space I have. At the moment I still have one empty dresser drawer and one empty small shelf that I don’t quite know what to fill with. I’m sure I’ll find something.

My room doesn’t have its own closet (because it’s somewhat closet-sized itself), so I get full use of the hall closet just outside my door. I put up a tension curtain rod so I can hang some of my clothes, but it has already fallen twice, causing my nice shirts and dresses and plastic hangers to form a sad little pile. I decided to reinforce it with a second rod, two of them side by side. I’m hoping this works, but I won’t be surprised if I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of clangs and bumps and wrinkles forming in my skirts.

The first time I did laundry in my new place, I was ridiculously overjoyed. Back in my old apartment, I had to haul it down two flights of stairs in suitcases, walk to the corner, wait for the bus, and sit in a sad but noisy Laundromat for two hours. My clothes always came out just smelling like wet clothes, no matter how much tropical-flower-smelling detergent I used. But here, hallelujah, the washer and dryer are a mere twenty-five feet from my room, and pulling my clothes out of the dryer has never been so fragrantly satisfying. I encourage any of you at home who grumble about doing laundry to go visit a Laundromat; you’ll run right home and hug that whirring machine you currently think you hate.

And the quiet outside my window? I’m in love. Sometimes at night I even hear crickets!

Because I now live up in the Cambridge-Somerville area, this past week I was finally able to go to the famous Tuesday Night Bluegrass at the Cantab Lounge, where they claim “the atmosphere is tolerant and the music is hot.” The second band to get on stage, Chasing Blue, was definitely rockin’ the banjo and harmonies. Although I can’t tell you what the band looked like, I can tell you all about the yellow shirt of the guy standing right in front of me from Banjo Camp 2010. It was apparently held in either Groton or Croton (maybe even Crouton?!), Mass., but the combination of dark lighting, not wearing my glasses, and the two empty bottles of beer beside me made it hard to decipher. Nonetheless, it was a fun night with good music, and I’ll probably find myself there many a Tuesday night from now on.